NB Please contact us for a shipping quote with your post code before making your purchase on this item.
Certified Organic Quinoa Flakes
Quinoa Flakes look and taste like rolled oats. They are made from the quinoa seed and steam pressed to create the flake. They are most often used as a gluen free replacement to oats and are great as a breakfast, in desserts, breads and cookies.
Quinoa (pronounced keen-oa or keenwa) was originally cultivated in the the Andean region of Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Colombia. It was domesticated 3-4 thousand years ago and there is evidence of its use stretching back even further. The name Quinoa is derived from the Spanish spelling of the Quechua name kinwa. Its health benefits are such that it is classified a Superfood and has a higher protein content per 100 calories than brown rice, barley, potatoes and millet.
Organic Quinoa Royale is the best quality of quinoa available worldwide. It is grown at high altitudes, generally in Bolivia or Peru. After harvest the seeds are rinsed to remove the bitter tasting saponins. Saponins occur naturally in quinoa and are a natural pesticide, making them unpopular with birds and allowing the seed to grow untouched.
Benefits of Quinoa Royale:
- Naturally wheat free
- Gluten free
- Easy to digest
- Contains all 14 essential amino acids
- 14% by mass is protein
- Higher protein content than most cereals.
- Higher protein content than brown rice, barley, potatoes and millet.
- Good source of dietary fibre
Quinoa’s various forms:
- White quinoa is the largest seed and therefore expands more when cooked, generally soaking up more liquid. It’s popular in stews and used often as a rice replacement.
- Red and black quinoa have a slightly nuttier flavour and are used more for their aesthetic qualities and slightly crunchier texture. They holds their shape better than white quinoa when cooked and so are more commonly used in salads where a wholegrain shape is desired. It has been said that red and black quinoa may have more antioxidant properties than white due to their there are no clinical studies to back up this theory.
- Tri-Colour is a blend of all 3 colours. It is used often in breads and salads for it’s great colour range. Bear in mind the cooking times for the 3 seeds vary slightly, make sure the red and black seeds are cooked through before taking off the stove.
- Quinoa flakes are the rolled quinoa kernal and have similar look and texture to oats
- Often used as a replacement for oats in baking, breakfast cereals and cooking to thicken sauces..
- Quinoa flakes may be eaten raw or cooked.
- Quinoa puffs are similar in appearance to rice bubbles and are most often used as a breakfast cereal. They can be made easily from the seeds by putting in a heated pot with a little oil (just like popcorn).
- Quinoa flour is used as a healthy, gluten free alternative to regular flour.
[testimonial author=”Benjamin Deutscher”]
Quinoa is one of natures only complete plant based protein sources, it is low allergic, naturally gluten free and makes an excellent addition to any diet
N.D Naturopath and Nutritionist at Malvern Natural Health Care specializing in food as medicine and detoxification programs)
Quinoa seeds can be germinated as long as the grains are rinsed and in their raw form.
- Easy to cook, (just like rice)
- Versatile…use in soups, stir fries, risotto, salads
- Tastes great! Like a nutty rice