Pumpkin & Feta Orzo (Risoni) Salad
The first time I made this salad, my family couldn’t get enough and it was a winner where ever I would take it. This would go great with anything and be perfect for Lunchbots Lunchboxes. I no longer have the recipe, so this is coming from my recipe bank, in my head ………….
You can replace the pumpkin with Sweet Potato (Kumara)
What you’ll need
- 250g of Orzo (Risoni)
- 1/4 of a medium-sized pumpkin, peeled and chopped into roughly the same sized pieces about (2 x 2cm)
- 1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
- 150 g feta cheese (depends what you like, but in this recipe, Danish was used because it crumbles quite nicely)
- about 1 cup of roughly chopped basil
- 1 medium-sized red onion, sliced thick and chunky 2cm
- 1 Red Capicum, sliced thick and chunky 2cm
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- 4 – 6 Cloves of Garlic (Your preference)
- Salt for seasoning
- Olive Oil for roasting
- Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette
- 1/3 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 & 1/2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey (more if you like it sweeter)
What to do
- Combine the last 4 ingredients above in any Jam/Sauce jar and shake until emulsified.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin on tray and dress it with a little bit of olive oil, then sprinkle with Rosemary and a little salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, then add garlic cloves, red capsicum and red onion.
- Bake a further 10 minutes or until pumpkin is cooked.
- While the pumpkin is cooking, bring some water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Once boiled, season with salt and add Orzo or Risoni. Stir well and cook until al dente (it cooks about the same as normal pasta, about 10-15 minutes, just check the back of the packet for details)
- Once the orzo/risoni is cooked, drain and rinse under some cold water for a minute or so. The orzo/risoni tends to be a bit sticky if you don’t rinse it properly, so make sure you do this.
- In a large bowl add the cherry tomatoes, feta, basil, red onion, red capsicum, garlic cloves, orzo/risoni and the pumpkin. Mix well.
- Dress your salad, with the lemon pepper vinaigrette just before serving
- Then your salad is ready, enjoy!!
- Add a small can of Tuna or Salmon to the salad for a great lunch.